LRO: Land Rover Conversions

From: Coates, Clinton (CCoates@golder.com)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 17:38:58 EDT

    A few more conversions, mentioned by a friend of mine, with some of the more
    inflammitory bits removed ;-)

    and THAT is why I dont bother with most of the Rover mailing lists any
    more..<snip> For someone who professes to a
    knowledge of rover hsitory, he seems to have entirely forgotten about things
    like the 81" military/rolls royce conversions, the Turner engieneering
    diesel conversions of the 50's and 60's, and the Tempo, Minerva, and Santana
    derivatives, all of which are, essentially conversions. (actually, you might
    want to point those items out to him, as the british motor history museum
    has an 81", a tempo, and a Minerva, and has been trying to get a mint
    turner diesel for years..I wonder if he considers THOSE butchered, or hot
    rods. how about the series 1 80" command cars, that were based on the
    (already rare) 80" station wagons...test him out, and see if he's ever heard
    of either. ( the 80"
    wagons actually had hand made bodies done by a coach builder NOT by
    rover...<snip> I haven't found out for sure if the 'mythical' s1 6x6's
    (built for/by the royal engineering corps) truly existed, or were actually
    later conversions based on the firefly chassis...again, they'd be worth
    mega$$$ is they were period conversions.

    As for the aussie models ( they're talking about the Nissan engined
    perentie 4x4, and 6x6 models) they are truly awesome. He also fails to take
    into acount that after 50 years, some of these trucks are way beyond
    restoration: the only alternative to scrapping them is re-engineering. Mine
    'looked' ok, but was made from parts of a S1, S2, and S3 trucks, and I think
    I've identified at least 5, possibly 6 donor vehicles so far !!