Re: LRO: LRs in WWII movies

From: Paul (l.andie@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 16:43:53 EDT

    In article
    <563C1B129660A542947B7DB4B3630CD4021B1D76@xch-nw-07.nw.nos.boeing.com>,
    Marin Faure wrote:
    > There is a remarkable museum in southern England called the
    > Tank Museum. We stumbled upon it on our first trip to the UK
    > in 1990. This museum has at least one copy of almost
    > every tank ever produced except the latest main battle
    > tanks like the M1A1 or whatever it is. They have the only
    > WWI tank that is regularly driven. Most of their tanks, including
    > most of the German ones like the Tigers, are operable. One
    > of their most remarkable exhibits is a Centurion tank (British
    > from the 1970s, I think) that has been cut in half lengthwise.
    > It's exactly as if they put the thing on a bandsaw and sawed right
    > down the middle. The barrel is cut in two, the engine, the transmission,
    > even the driver's seat. The two halves are set up with enough space
    > between them for you to walk through. This museum does not seem
    > to be very well known outside of armor aficionados, but it is a huge
    > setup with hundreds of vehicles. I believe it may be completely
    > or partially operated by the Army, but I can't remember this for sure.
    > I recall it is on a military base, or next to one.

     The Tank Museum is in Bovingdon, Dorset on the South Coast of England. It
    is on the Royal Armoured Corps "Bovingdon Camp".

     The Royal Armoured Corps has a long and distinguished history going back to
    the invention of the tank. The very first tanks were crewed by the Royal
    Navy!

     The Tank Museum is a firm favourite for children of all ages, especially
    since it is possible for kids to get on and in some of the tanks.

     When I first went as a child in the mid 1960s you could climb on all the
    tanks and my parents have a picture of my brother dangling from the gun of
    the biggest Panzer in the place!

     Modern safety regulations now forbid this!