LRO: Wasted youth (was parts availability, etc.)

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 14:25:01 EDT

    Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 22:21:34 -0700
    From: Michael Hatton <mhatton@compt.com>
    Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Parts availability vs. bulletproofing

    >Marin, do you really know what is "going on"? If you do I would really
    like to know :)

    Absolutely. I didn't until I was over 30, but now I've been all over the world,
    met all sorts of people, done all sorts of things from flying floatplanes
    in Alaska to driving off-road in the Northwest Territories to running canal
    boats in the UK to operating a trawler in the Pacific Northwest to deep
    sea fishing in the Pacific to writing books to making movies to counting
    wolves in the Cascades to moose hunting in BC. I know every damn thing
    there is to know now :-)

    >Waste time on the young, so that they will waste their time on you, when
    you are old...

    The last thing I'm going to want when I'm old is some stupid kid whining around
    being a professional victim due to his own total lack of responsibility and worthless
    values and education. I'd rather watch paint dry than have a conversation with
    a "young person" today. Virtually every one I've met has less drive than the worms
    in my lawn. But the really disturbing thing is how ALL of them view themselves as
    victimized by the circumstances surrounding them. Not ONE "young person" in
    my acquaintance, and I know a fair number of them, is willing to admit that their
    road-to-nowhere lives are due to their own lack of initiative. Everything is someone
    else's fault. However, I must say that this is almost always the same attitude
    expressed by their parents, so I can't totally blame the kids. But I'm really getting
    tired of hearing people whine that they can't accomplish anything because "the
    world's against them." If they were actually trying to do things and were getting
    rebuffed at every turn, that would be different. But they just drift through life
    using "everything's against me" as a rationalization for making no effort or
    taking no responsibility.

    So don't try to convince me that today's youth is worth giving the time of day. From
    everything I've observed and experienced, my time would be better spent waxing
    my toilet.

    As for "making a better world for our kids," why should I worry about them? After
    I'm gone to whatever's next, what happens here is of no consequence to me. So what
    if the world's out of energy, the ozone layer's gone, and humans are baking to death
    in the sun. I had to solve the problems in my life, and when today's young people grow up,
    they can solve the problems in theirs. Only I don't have much hope that they will. Humans,
    like dinosaurs, will see their days end, and we'll be replaced by..... what? It'd be interesting
    to know.

    One thing I do know, they'll be too smart to be driving old Land Rovers. :-)
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE