LRO: Youth Quote (was. . . Is it the drive?...or the destination???)

From: Rick Grant (rgrant@cadvision.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 17:41:21 EDT

    At 16:29 03/04/01 +0200, Luca Ingianni, wrote
    >As for Marin's lament on the young generation: a friend of mine is an
    >archaelologist and he told me that the oldest known such thing is written
    >on a Babylonian (or Sumerian? I forgot :) ) stone tablet where a father
    >complains that his generation is the last good generation and all that
    >comes after that is worthless and whatever. That was 4600 years ago.

    If your archaeologist friend has a documented cite for that quote I'd love
    to see it because I have never been able to track it down. I strongly
    suspect that it is a mutation of an urban legend concerning a supposed
    quote once attributed to Socrates.

    The reference librarians on the STUMPERS-L mailing list have come up empty
    on it as well.

    Here's what the experts had to say about the Socrates quote, and again I
    think this Sumerian or Babylonian scribe is simply a spin off but I'd like
    to be convinced otherwise.

    Begin clipping from STUMPERS-L. . . .

    >The Library of Congress' excellent book, _Respectfully Quoted_ (1989), lists
    >this quote "thusly" (page 42, quote number 195):
    > The children now love luxury; they have bad manners,
    > contempt for authority; they allow disrespect for elders and
    > love chatter in place of exercise. Children now are tyrants,
    > not the servants of their households. They no longer rise
    > when eleders enter the room. They contradict their parents,
    > chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross
    > their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
    >
    >*About* this quote, this is what LC has to add:
    > Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato, according to William L.
    > Patty and Louise S. Johnson, _Personality and Adjustment_, p.277
    > (1963).
    > This passage was very popular in the 1960s and its
    > essence was used by the Mayor of Amsterdam, Gijsbert van Hall,
    > following a street demonstration in 1966, as reported by _The
    > New York Times_, April 3, 1966, p. 16.
    > This use prompted Malcolm S. Forbes to write an editorial
    > on youth.--_Forbes_, April 15, 1966, p. 11. In that same issue,
    > under the heading "Side Lines," pp. 5-6, is a summary of the
    > efforts of researchers and scholars to confirm the wording of
    > Socrates, or Plato, but without success. Evidently, the
    > quotation is spurious.

    End Clipping

                                                 Rick Grant

                                        1959 Series II "88"