LRO: RE: steering relay knock?

From: Todd Ondick (greylildogs@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 12:19:19 EDT

    Mine did this too... not so much causing an audible clunk but it did account
    for considerable steering slop. I believe its use as a plow truck was
    responsible. Upper mounting tabs were pushed away from relay and holes in
    tabs became enlarged. The relay shifted even after torquing the upper bolts
    to 120#. Swapping grade 8 hdwe on upper mounting tabs and installing a new
    lower retaining ring solved the problem.
    Is the relay shaft moving around all on it's lonesome or is the entire relay
    moving w/in the lower retainer? either way it's a PIA to fix, let's just
    hope it's the cheaper solution.
    regards,
    -Todd Ondick