[lro] Shims in the transfer box.

From: William L Leacock (roverbilly@juno.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 16:07:41 EDT

    John writes;
    >posted this question on LRO a while back, but I got no response. What
    sealant, if any, should be used on the speedo housing shims? The
    original
    (I think -- I bought this '66 in 1970, so it's probably untouched) shims
    from the transmission I'm rebuilding had a dark film that seemed to be
    soluble in lacquer thinner, but the workshop manual doesn't mention any
    sealant. Whatever I did when I rebuilt my other transmission a few years

    ago seemed to work, but I can't remember applying any sealant

     It is not necessary to apply sealant to the shims. If the faces are
    clean, the surface area is large enough to give a good seal. If you are
    nervous then use one of the non setting types of sealant (i.e Hylomar)
    The dark film was probably dried oil residue.

     Bill Leacock