Re: [lro] Re: Overbore 2.25?

From: Craig Freeman (craig@craigfreeman.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 00:49:02 EST

    >Speaking of turbos, I'll take this chance to ask a question I've been
    >wondering about for a while.
    >
    >I've been busy relocating the air filter (via a 90 air filter housing and
    >new snorkle) to the roof and am slowly going through and ensuring that all
    >systems are setup for deep wading. I'm still interested in a diesel
    >conversion, and was wondering what a deep water crossing would do to a
    >turbo. I realise that these get really hot, but if one was to idle through
    >the water (or at a reduced RPM) could the housing survive being immersed?
    >
    >J-L

    Not a problem with the deep-water wading. I used to do a lot of it
    when I was living in Australia in a 200TDi Disco and a 300TDi 110
    utility, and never had a problem with the housing. I know the
    housing was hot because the first water crossing I had to do was an
    hours drive from my place at about 3500rpm in fifth (4000 in the
    Defender), and I never had any problems with the turbo housings.
    Water entry into the cab destroying the carpets in the Disco, now
    that's another story....

    CSF
    2002 Freelander (wifes car)
    ??? waiting to buy my new LR