[lro] Stock vs Parabolic for restoration

From: Andrew H. Litkowiak (andylit@covad.net)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 10:19:37 EST

    I'm moving forward on the restoration of my '67 109 Diesel Pickup. I realize
    that the parabolic debate has been had, ad infinitum, but I'm asking you to
    revisit it with a very specific focus.

    The springs on the truck are solid but old. I won't put them back on without a
    total disassembly, blasting and hot re-arch. And that is a last resort.

    I'm weighing the merits of a pure stock replacement with the parabolics and have
    little to go on.

    My final goal is a true restoration, not a rebuild. I realize that this
    precludes the use of parabolics, but I must consider final ride (that's why I'm
    installing the Fairey). I intend the truck to be showroom perfect, but I also
    want a pleasurable driving experience. I am willing to make non-visible
    concessions to modernization if the functionality is truly enhanced.

    The truck should be eminently streetable, yet it will be hanger queen beautiful.

    With this in mind, I am seeking the best possible street comfort spring solution
    (and shocks).

    Please contribute to my information pool.

    Andy Litkowiak
    Also has a Rover P4 100 in the barn