Re: [lro] Stiff steering question...

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 09:37:03 EST

    --- Robert Palmer <rbpalmer_nrt@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > tips/tricks

    None, really. It's a really feel-oriented thing as far as
    I'm concerned.

    What I typically do is to remove the box cover (the tin
    shield bolted to the splash guard) and then loosen the
    locking nut, then the centre adjustment bolt (look at the
    photo in the book). Jack the truck up and get the front
    wheels off the ground - this lets the system float and
    makes it easier to detect play.

    With the centre adjustment backed out a half-turn or so,
    feel the wheel - you should feel a significant loose/sloppy
    point right where the center point is in the steering. Our
    goal is to get rid of that sloppiness without getting it
    over-tight.

    With the bonnet up, put your hand on the pitman arm and
    move the wheel back and forth. You'll see that the wheel is
    going to swing quite a bit before the pitman arm begins to
    move.

    Take up the adjustment a little at a time, and keep trying
    it with your hand on the pitman and the other on the
    steering wheel. When you hit the point where the steering
    still feels light but the pitman arm responds instantly to
    the wheel that's the sweet spot - you may want to try
    tightening a tiny bit past that point, but you're
    essentially there. Too tight becomes obvious - the wheel
    will get stiff.

    As I said, kind of a touchy, feely thing but that's the
    best description I can give of it.

                 ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://webhosting.yahoo.com