RE: [lro] re-skinning doors

From: Tackley, John (jtackley@dit.state.va.us)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 14:20:13 EST

    I'm wondering if a more modern solution might be 3M double sided foam tape, the very thin version commonly used by body shops to re-attach emblems, side moldings and such would be more suitable than caulk...the tape has a very thin inner-core of foam, which would provide excellent separation of the Al from the Fe and well prevent any rattles...and still offer all the benefits of silicone, without the trade-offs.

    JT/ric

    Mark said:
    Simon,
        If it is anything like on a plane where two pieces of aluminium can touch,
    but are not secured and then subjected to vibration, you will get a shiny wear
    area and black "smoke" trailing off it as they rub. I'd caulk it and hope that
    you do not have to do it again. Also the steel frame will be isolated from the
    aluminum by the caulk and so possibly prevent galvanitic corrosion where two
    dissimilar metals touch and react. Also there are some wterpoofing qualities to
    the silicon sealers.