Re: [lro] Re problems at start up

From: Bob & Sue Bernard (bobnsueb@saber.net)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 09:46:27 EST

    Hi David,
    Yes yours sounds too advanced. The pinging pretty much tells the story. The
    slower turning with the key on also does but not as obvious. Too advanced
    fires too far before top dead center and tries to push the piston backwards
    sounding like a weak battery..
    A timing light used with the vac advance hose off is the very best way to
    time it. In my opinion, the only way. I only use static timing when first
    replacing the distributor, then follow with the strobe light.
    Yesterday I mentioned the mechanical advance weights to Jeff because they
    are often in very bad condition. Since they are hidden under the breaker
    plate, They do not get lubed. After a lot of years they can bind, break
    off, or just be very sloppy, and the return springs get rusty and
    stretched . If they bind in, the timing won't advance at higher rpm so the
    middle and top rpm suffer for lack of response. If they bind out, the
    timing stays too advanced for the idle and starting.
    With a timing light hooked up, you can test both advance mechanisms.
    For the vacuum advance, remove the vac hose from the carb and suck on it,
    You should feel it stop and not keep leaking air. While sucking and holding
    you can watch the timing mark move to advanced and hold there until you let
    up on the hose.
    For the mechanical centrifugal advance, Leave the vac advance unhooked at
    the carb, plug the hole on the carb if you can. Then with the timing light
    on the mark, rev the engine and you should see the mark advance with more
    rpms. Then when you let up on the revs, it will (should) return to the
    basic setting.
    Good luck,
    Bob B