Re: [lro] The fun continues...

From: Kirk Hillman (hillman88@telus.net)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 11:52:39 EST

    First of all I would like to say that I have had very good results with
    Optima and regular batteries... both have exceeded expectations every time.
    It may have a great deal to do with knowledgeable sales people in all cases.
        I bought new (expensive) battery for my first truck when I was 18. It
    was abused and much maligned but never gave up. To my knowledge that
    battery is STILL in the truck.
        My Optima's have been terrific. I bought one yellow and one red to run
    a dual battery system. Though I never did get around to installing the
    system in the 88, the yellow top still saw use around the farm for boosting
    and a stand-in replacement when others failed. Last I saw it, we put it in
    my dad's truck temporarily... right before he sold the truck. Now the red
    top is still going strong in the 88 inspite of all my attempts to kill it.
    Countless times, through irresponsibility, it has been absolutely flat yet
    doesn't miss a beat. There is one other thing I should probably mention
    too. Just as motors have torque and Hp curves, I believe batteries have a
    discharge curve. Some start off strong and slowly drop off until nothing
    remains, while others don't. The Optima seems to go and go and go very
    nearly full strength for a really long time before it dies more abruptly.
    It could be that I am imagining things but it does seem to me to be the
    case.
        BTW, J-L, have you considered other types of batteries... like a Hawker?
    I have no first hand experience but hear they are even better than Optimas
    (half the size though twice the price!)

    Kirk