Re: [lro] RE: OT: Disco error light question

From: Neil Brownlee (metal_thrasher@offroading.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Dec 28 2002 - 09:36:18 EST

    >The writer and I live in very different worlds.

    Not so! Piglet is one of the last 300 series Discoverys. Underneath the
    plush air-conditioned leather interior, beats a V8 engine (based on that
    oroginal 3.5) which drives a 4 wheel drive system pioneered on the earliest
    Range Rovers.....while I may have changed springs/shocks and wheel sizes and
    a rear diff, he is *still* a Land Rover.

    This vehicle has no HDC, no TC, no EBD. It does have ABS, and I see no issue
    with this particular addition, indeed when used with the automatic gearbox
    offroad it works like a dream! Oh, and it does have a diff-lock!

    Of course, the major difference between the Series vehicles I have owned (A
    Stage One V8 and a 1978 SIII 109") and the newer fleet I have aquired is the
    ability to "go anywhere" (and I DO!) and also be able to rely on them
    getting me to work or 600 miles away without worry. Maintenance of said
    beast is slightly different, but you find the same problems beset the entire
    range. Where a problem existed on the SIII it usually took LR 10 or so years
    to sort it and eventually it filtered down into the newer variants. 24
    spline halfshalfs area nice standard addition I find! Oil changes are common
    to the fleet (up to 98 anyway!) and basic maintenance s pretty much
    identical. Even the pretty pictures explainnig how to use the hi-lo/diff
    lock in the back of the handbook are reminicent of the SIII hand book!

    Anyway, my point is, these vehicles are not as different as you may think.
    They all hark back to the original designs which were based on a jeep....so
    go figure!

    Neil (#150)
    Vice Chairman Discovery Owners Club
    Social Secretary MK4x4

    1997 Land Rover Discovery V8i ES - 'Piglet' - XD9000i, BRB Winch
    Bumper,Terrain Master Hi-Lift carrier, Bearmach steering/sump guard, Mantec
    Side Protection Sills, Scorpion Racing +2" 25% uprated front and 50% uprated
    rear springs,+2" De-Carbon Shocks, Southdown Fuel Tank Guard, 235/85/16
    Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's,WH Wheelcarriers Diff Guards, JE Engineering 4
    Tailpipe SS Exhaust, Safari Snorkel,R J Harvey External Roll Cage,rear
    Tru-Trac LSD.
    2001 Land Rover Freelander V6 GS Station Wagon- 'Kanga'

    http://www.PigletV8i.org.uk
    http://community.webshots.com/user/landroverdiscoveryv8i
    http://www.northantsdoc.co.uk