Re: [lro] Series IIa Starter

From: Jim Hall (jimfoo@purplemountain.net)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 23:16:26 EST

    There are groves in the shaft and in the gear. When the motor starts to
    turn, inertia causes the gear to want to stay at rest, so it climbs
    the spiral groves and engages the flywheel. If oil from the rear main
    seal has been leaking and getting on the starter, the groves can get
    gummed up and the gear won't move. You can also have problems if the
    teeth on either gear are too worn

    --
    Jim Hall
    1966 88" Elephant Chaser