Re: LRO: Re: New Guy or All about Joe

From: Jeff Berg (jeff@purpleshark.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 16:24:46 EDT

    >Maybe thats why coil sprung guys don't wave more to you guys.

    Actually Perrone, at least in my experience, the "attitude" is mostly
    directed at Series owners by coilers. We may not be particularly
    interested in their latest modifications, but we're by-and-large a
    "live and let live" group. Can't tell you the number of times on runs
    I've been faced with comments like "That (stock) Series Rover is
    stuck and holding us up but my (locked, raised, Super Swamper'd)
    Disco got right through. Those guys shouldn't come out on these runs
    if they don't know how to drive." That's annoying comment from
    someone who's "skills" have been bought--not learned. (And it's not
    universal--there are many owners of modified coilers that can drive
    rings around me, they're just usually not the ones making stupid,
    inflammatory, comments.)

    Funny thing, when the coiler breaks down on the trail, seems as if
    it's the Series guys who pull out tool boxes and start wrenching. Or
    if a vehicle is stuck and, for some reason, winching isn't the
    answer...who usually figures it out?

    Some of my best friends (in fact my very best friend) are coilers,
    and I do hate to generalize. But the best coilers, and I think you
    might even be in this category, are Series guys at heart--they just
    drive a newer truck for a variety of reasons. I may be building a
    coil rig myself--and asking a few questions of my friends here. I
    hate to think that I'll be shunned if I choose to do so.

    I also had to chuckle at your comment about newer trucks "idleing"
    through obstacles because in my experience, unless we're dealing with
    extreme climbs, it's the Series drivers who idle and finess their way
    through--the Coilers use gobs of wellie and brute force. Not saying
    either is necessarily wrong--just an observation.

    I have no problems with the occasional coil question (or even
    slightly relevant "Scout" question) being addressed on the list.
    (Particularly since I just wrote a tome on video compression.) If the
    discussion gets too long (as this one is approaching--but not for the
    original reason) it should be taken offline. And yes, a new comer
    posing the question should probably be politely informed that there
    may be better resources.

    For the record, I think Scouts are very cool rigs. I also like old
    Cruisers and original Broncos and Power Wagons. If I wanted to do
    more offroading on a regular basis I'd probably get a Jeep as there
    seem to be active clubs all around. As a rule I'd define them all as
    vehicles being driven by folks very similar to ourselves--just a
    different choice in how they manifest their interest.

    jeff

    --
    ==
      Jeffrey A. Berg     Purple Shark Media        Rowayton, CT