RE: LRO: Guinness/ old wars

From: Easton Trevor A (trevor_easton@dofasco.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 10:24:07 EDT

    Caught a portion of History Channel this morning which featured the Zulu
    wars. The Martini-Henry Rifle was used there and the rate of fire initially
    was such that many soldiers were firing at arms length because of bruised
    shoulders and hands were burnt by hot barrels. This resulted in poor
    accuracy and the problem was aggravated by the slow delivery of ammunition
    due to secure ammunition boxes and quartermasters regulations.

            The other (possible) South African connection is that a Commandant
            Lonsdale was sole survivor of Isandlwana. I guess he had a fast
    horse
            and was sent for re-inforcements! Probably could have used a V8 90..

             Paul Lonsdale

    Quartermaster---- Would you like a Martini Henry?

    Commandant Henry Lonsdale---No thanks, I'd prefer a White Horse