LRO: Acetone and Rain-X

From: Jeff Berg (jeff@purpleshark.com)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 12:36:27 EDT

    Dave Scheidt earns a gold star for that tip! Did a spring cleaning on
    FINSUP yesterday--hosed her down and gave a quick sponge bath to
    remove accumulated pollen, sap and bird droppings...got the sludge
    out of the footwells and off the rear deck...and wiped the dust off
    the instrument panels and tuffy box. I also did the windshield glass
    (inside and out) with citrus degreaser, glass cleaner and acetone
    followed by Rain-X. The acetone really makes it easy to buff the
    Rain-X clear. Didn't notice any steaks or haze at all last
    night--will keep you posted. I recommend this extra step--but, as
    Dave was kind enough to remind me, remember that acetone is a solvent
    and will do a number on your paint. You were warned, no whining.

    Also cleaned out the K&N using compressed air and gasoline. Large
    quantities of dust and mud came flying out. Re-oiled it with the
    "special" oil I got at the Speed Shop & Lingerie Boutique (you think
    I'm kidding, don't you?) in Waterville, Maine. Carb seems to be
    breathing better--I can hear it sucking again. Must be the "special"
    oil.

    One bad point--I think I burned my compressor out in the process. 15
    years old--and lead a hard life for the first five powering air tools
    for various outdoor theaters I was working with. Might be okay after
    a long cooldown. If not, the next one will be more powerful and have
    a larger tank.

    Still need to do the glass in the doortops too--they weren't with me yesterday.

    jeff

    --
    ==
      Jeffrey A. Berg   Purple Shark Media         Rowayton, CT