LRO: RE: Peter O. has doubts...

From: Tackley, John (jtackley@dit.state.va.us)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 10:02:20 EDT

    Peter,Peter,Peter,

    Perhaps it's due to my long-standing contractual relationship with the
    Devil, (...and please, in the future, do Capitalize references to Him...if
    you don't it really pisses him off...there, you are forewarned!) but the
    method I described has always worked for me.
    Then again, my semi-retired mind may have it wrong...perhaps it was "cut the
    outer steel sleeve", but alas... no, I said it right the first time,
    (actually I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken), cut the inner
    sleeve through to the rubber and then apply the air chisel to the bushing at
    the cut...angled slightly toward the frame...as the round-punch chisel-point
    slides through the cut, the sleeve curls inward, pulling away from the
    rubber, outer sleeve and frame...at some point part way through, the
    vibration and pressure of the air chisel overcomes the adhesive forces of
    time & corrosion, and the outer sleeve is released from the frame. (Of
    course, should my method as described above fail you, then I suggest you
    carefully cut the remaining outer sleeve also, being careful not to cut the
    frame, and then simply proceed with the same tools and methodology.)

    I believe I have some recently removed bushings I can snap pics of which
    will prove my point.

    Honest, trust me (...which we all know is Yiddish for "F-U"), it works. ;->

    JT/ric

    I'm puzzling over your description of removing the frame bushings. Your
    saying cut the small inner sleeve, that the bolt goes through. Then you can

    drive out the entire bushing, outer sleeve, the one welded to the frame by
    corrosion, by using a punch tool in the rubber. This sounds a bit too easy,

    almost blasphemous devil's work. I haven't tried an air chizel on an uncut
    outer bush but can't see how applying the tool to the rubber would have any
    effect on outer bush. It would seem the rubber would absorb the blows of
    the chizel on one hand. On the other, most of my frame bushes haven't had
    the rubber attached to the inner and/or outer sleeve so the rubber just
    falls out. Could you try and clear up my incomprehension of your method.