Re: LRO: Re: Gas tank float

From: Stephen West-Fisher (steve@coastaldatasystems.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 18:05:32 EDT

    >My Luscombe 8-A, was calibrated in 1/4 ; 1/2; 3/4; and Full. It read via a
    >cork float, and lever with gearset behind a little glass window. The gauge
    >was right behind the pilots head. Much like Perrones' CB.

    >Back then it was "improper" according to the FAA to run auto gas in your 65
    >"screaming horsepower" wonder. If you were clever though when you put the gas
    >can down at the pump in town, the AVGAS label was toward your tire. When you
    >were pouring it into the plane it was toward the rest of the flight line. Now
    >sadly, it is legal with the right paperwork, and pilots have one less thing
    >to be clever about. All discussion about whether it is clever or not can be
    >tabled for later.

    An 8-A was the second plane I flew, my dad rebuilt two, a rag wing and a
    metal wing. Sold the rag wing to pay for the metal wing. He sold the J3
    to buy the two wrecked 8-As.

    As I recall, there was a "rear-view" mirror above the wind screen that
    showed the fuel gauge. If you looked directly at the fuel gauge, the
    printing was backwards so you could read it correctly in the mirror.
    Getting pretty close to British engineering if you ask me :-)

    The 8-A was also where I became one of those "who had". Fortunately just
    pride, one wingtip, and one prop. Of course it was while everyone at MEB
    was watching!

    Steve