LRO: No more leaks and no more power :-(

From: Paul Quin (pquin@home.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 10:08:53 EDT

    Over that past couple of weekends I've hauled out my engine and replaced the
    rear main oil seal and manifold to head gasket. The rear main seal
    replacement work like a charm as there is *almost* no oil drops under the
    Rover, even after a long highway run. A month ago there would have been
    half a litre!

    The manifold gasket has made a difference too as the old one was really shot
    and there was a chug chug of smelly exhaust fumes wafting back into the
    drivers face before I replaced it.

    I think that the manifold vacuum has improved as well as there is now a
    definite sound of rushing air from the base of the carb. In fact when
    things warm up there is a definite whistle ala a tea kettle! I've had the
    carb off (a Solex) and checked the base packing block and gaskets which are
    new and look fine. The whistle *seems* to be coming from the base of the
    cold start circuit.

    Before the gasket replacement, the Rover wouldn't idle worth sh*t but had
    lots of power (well... relatively...) now it idles like a charm but has NO
    power at all on the road. If I push the gas pedal to aggressively, it bogs
    down and stalls. When warm I have to run with the choke cable almost all
    the way out and there is no power at all for hills...

    Sounds to me like either a lack of fuel in the mixture due to something
    plugged in the carb , or a big vacuum leak but usually vacuum leaks cause
    poor idling while this one idles like a sleeping baby...

    Thoughts? I'm going to start at the fuel filter and work back to the carb
    and tear into it as I have a re-build kit on hand (actually two thanks to
    Craddock's...)

    Maybe time to pick up a vacuum gauge from C-Tyre...

    Paul Quin
    1961 SII 88
    Victoria, BC