LRO: Tracking Down Vacuum Leaks

From: Paul Quin (Paul_Quin@pml.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 15:06:47 EDT

    Second day on the road after replacing the rear main oil seal and still no
    leaks! :-) (yes, I remembered to put oil back in...)

    One problem has cropped up though... I replaced the manifold to head
    gasket (old SII style one piece unit), most of the manifold bolt / studs,
    and the carb packing block and bottom gaskets. Now I have what sounds like
    a vacuum leak. Once warmed up, a whistling starts. The Land Rover sounds
    just like a tea kettle. It only whistles with high vacuum i.e. when gearing
    down and when idling. It's quite loud, I get funny looks from other people
    at intersections.

    Any suggestions on how to track this leak down? I've tried spraying carb
    cleaner on the joints with no luck..

    Paul Quin
    1961 SII 88
    Victoria, BC