LRO: Re: Steering wheel centering

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 20:34:11 EDT

    Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:05:37 -0400
    From: "Robert A. Virzi" <bob.virzi@verizon.com>
    Subject: LRO: Steering wheel centering

    >While driving
    back, I noticed my steering wheel is just slightly off center. I
    seem to recall some folks here having a simple way to re-center
    without a trip back to the shop.

    IF (and it's a big if) the steering mechanism is at all similar in
    philosophy to what's on a Series, you should be able to loosen
    the ends of the steering rod, aka drag link (NOT the tie rod), and
    rotate the rod until the steering wheel is where you want it.
    Then retighen the rod ends. On a Series, the drag link is
    in front of the tie rod and axle. As the Discovery is built on
    the Range Rover chassis, I'm going to assume the steering
    layout is similar to the Range Rover's. On that vehicle, the
    drag link is actually BEHIND the front axle, I believe. But
    the adjustment process should be basically the same.

    C. Marin Faure
    Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
    telephone (425)393-7721
    mobile (206)650-5622
    fax: (425)393-7741
    e-mail: marin.faure@boeing.com