LRO: Re: Pictures of JL's vehicle

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 10:49:35 EDT

    Jeeze, I really don't know when all this hype is about...

    Valdez is... a 66 109 plain - O regular, with series III wings, and the
    breakfast is moved forward one inch to accomodate the radiator, so the hood
    sits up too high. The tranny hump is a huge affair, the same height as the
    seatbox, same width as the bulkhead center section, and was cobble together
    in an hour using diamond plate aluminum and angle aluminum. It looks ugly,
    and you can see the ground through the panel gaps. I have to redo it with a
    couple of roadsigns. The frame is custom, so it has about 3" more ground
    clearance than a regular rover, and the frame rails are basically rock
    sliders. The underhood looks like I sprayed it in oil, as I was battling
    major oil leakage a while back, and am waiting for warmer weather to clean
    up the motor and paint it cat yellow, as well as tidy up all the wiring and
    basically make the Ford engine look like it came from the factory. I am
    actually going to wrap my wiring harnesses in hockey tape as it looks like
    the braided stuff the factory used.

    Most of the modifications are not apparent on the outside, unless you really
    really look and notice the bumpers, frame rails, etc. It's just a regular
    109 on the outside, with the paint peeling off of the roof. The interior is
    a mess, loaded with all kinds of dirt and crud. Not a nice place.

    If course, the new axles will make it look quite different on the outside,
    and I am still debating whether I will do a spring over or leave the springs
    as is. I might have to do a spring over, since the axles were destind to be
    run under the spring, on the donor vehicle. This gives me monstrous lift,
    which is NOT what I'm after. 2" higher would be about the limit, but I may
    have to go higher if I can't get the axles to fit where I want them.

    Many of the mods I have debated on the list, such as the axle swap, the
    larger tires, the spring over, are at the "I have the parts accumulated, but
    not the time" stage. But, hey, college exams are over in a week, and then I
    demanded that my job leave me alone for a period of two weeks, for me to get
    some work done to the beast. The axles will be first, as I need the higher
    gears and would like the wider track and improved turning radius, as well as
    the locking diffs, after that, I'll move on to beautification, and then to
    the gizmo stage, as in roll bar, onboard air, spare carrier, hilift mounting
    spot, roof rack...

    It never ends. Still want a picture? It'll be obsolete in two months, as
    I'll have a completely different animal. That goes Psssht.

    J-L

    Jean-Leon Morin
    AKA "Dr. Detroit"

    Valdez - 1966 IIA 109 freak