LRO: Why waist time on puttin' TLC parts in your Rover?

From: David G. Russell (David_R@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 15:51:46 EDT

    On 17/4/01 at 13:54, Andre Shoumatoff" <ashoumat@zoo.uvm.edu> wrote:

    > The way I would do it is see if someone can adapt the cruiser tranny
    > to the Rover engine, then you have the stouter TLC tranny (which
    > easily handles V8s of high magnitude), a stouter T-case, and a stouter
    > overdrive. Plus, tranny/t-case combos can be had very cheaply and
    > bolt in with fairly little fabrication I imagine.

    Whose overdrive?

    I have a Fairey in my 77 FJ-40 and was told explicitly to be gentle with
    it by the p/o, the folks who put it in and from the research I did in
    1988 when I bought it. If I recall, it's very similar to the Rover O/D
    and suffers the same problems, especially wrt low oil capacity.

    Is there now a market glut of TLC t-cases? My used replacement in 1989
    was $1200.

    And what Dave said about the case.

    -David