LRO: Re: HiLift Jack Accessories.

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 16:06:11 EDT

    Have become the proud owner of a high lift jack and now have to figure how
    to store it and use it.

    To use it as a winch, is there an adaptor so you can keep tension on the
    line while you reposition the lift part to keep pulling continuously. I'm
    aware of http://www.rescue42.com/off-road.htm. Their device looks like it
    allows the dead end to be hooked up to a chain or whatever around a tree. I
    don't how you can keep tension on the moving side, however. Somewhere I
    seem to remember seeing an attachment that allowed you to snub a chain up
    and hold the tension. Hope the above makes sense.

    Am up in the air as to where to mount the jack. My feeble mind has come up
    with four possibilities: 1. Toss it in the back and let it bounce around.
    2. Bracket it to the front bumper. 3. Vertiacally hanging in the rear 4.
    Bracket it in the bed of the truck.

    Vertically in the rear seems good but it will either be on a 109 standard or
    88 with a full soft top. The rear mounting leaves me a little nervous
    especially if I remove the top and bows which I will do on occasion. It
    seems that even with the tilt in place that the jack upper end could get
    hooked on something and tear the rear out of the truck as well as bending
    the jack.

    Mounting on the front bumper doesn't seem like a good idea given my
    propensity for using the truck as a D-9. If I decide to go this route, what
    available mounts are there out there.

    Bracketing in the back is the safest place to mount it but it will restrict
    storage in the back. Not such a big deal on the 109 but is a factor in the
    88. What mount would work best if I decide to go that route??

    Somehow I remember someone posting a blow molded case for the HiLift. Can
    that case be bolted in place in the back and where can I find the case??

    Does someone make a cover for the jack when it is mounted on brackets?? The
    bag that I've seen doesn't seem to have pockets for the clamps to fit
    through