Re: LRO: Real Rovers (was Parts availability....)

From: Mike Rogers (MikeRogers@Mattishall.org.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 15:11:19 EDT

    > An interesting dilemma arises when considering older
    >Series Land Rovers that have been fitted with Rover
    > V-8s. Are they Land Rovers?

    I have been reading this thread with interest wondering where it will end up
    and have decided to add the thoughts that led to my Hybrid building.

    Firstly I just like land Rovers, secondly the Lightweight, to me, is the
    best looking vehicle Land Rover ever built, sadly they were built in the era
    of leaf springs and poor performing engines. Hence I came to the conclusion
    that if I were to keep up with modern traffic on the roads, and compete with
    modern Land Rovers off road a Hybrid was the only way to go if I were to
    keep the body style I like so much.

    To me it is still a Land Rover, to the ARC club rules it is still a Land
    Rover, to the vehicle licensing dept it is still a Land Rover, to NFU
    insurance it is still a Land Rover.

    All the parts with the exception of the, VW seats, SD1 steering wheel,
    Freight Rover handbrake lever and Ford fuel filler neck and cap were
    originally made by Land Rover Ltd. A few items I had to custom make myself
    such as radiator grill, chassis parts, and Roll cage.

    The fact that I arranged these parts in a way that Land Rover Ltd never did
    does not make the vehicle non-Land Rover.

    I am currently re-building a 110 (I at last have a gearlever for it) in
    different way to that which Land Rover Ltd chose. They in there wisdom put
    in a Diesel engine, I am putting in a Range Rover V8 and LT95 gearbox. I
    will probably use car seats and convert it to run on LPG.

    It will still be a Land Rover.

    PS.
    Why does my spellchecker always want me to change SD1 to SAD, does it too
    have opinions?

    Mike Rogers
    Lightweight/Range Rover hybrid
    Transferboxleverless 110 project
    (if you can't get there in a Land Rover you can't get there)