RE: LRO: RE: Parts availability vs. bulletproofing

From: RON WARD (ronward@synovustrust.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 17:27:41 EDT

    uh, er, not really...the NAS D110 I had was classified by the DMV as Vehicle Type : Farm Implement (which I suppose it is).

    Look, I think Marin's point is that he feels the authenticity and accuracy of the original condition of the Land-Rover is what preserves it. My brother thought about buying a vintage classic Corvette once and told me that the ones with matching serial numbers were astronomically high while patchwork jobs were relatively cheap. Why? Because a collector is interested in the authenticity. Anybody buy antique furniture lately?

    If I subscribed to the same philosophy as Marin I would classify my '65 IIa as a "hybrid" simply because I have added rear work lights, tow bar attachment fixings on the front bumper and I changed the oil in it this weekend. But for my purposes, I call it a Land-Rover, not a hybrid.

    Ron "running for cover" Ward

    >>> matt@onexchange.com 04/03/01 03:39PM >>>
    So does that make my Xterra not an Xterra because I am having a custom
    expedition roofrack installed as the original one (which many think gives it
    it's personality) is less useful than many originally believed? and the
    step rails, which were made out of paper thin aluminum alloy, are being
    replaced with a set of rock sliders. Does this not make it an Xterra?

    My definition of what makes a vehicle this or that.

    What does your bank think it is?

    What does the DMV classify it as?

    If either of these are Land Rover, then you got a Land Rover. There are
    different classifications, creampuff, well used, expedition, trail rig, etc.
    But when all is said and done, it's still a land rover to the DMV, DOT, MOT,
    whoever.

    Matt Peckham